Saturday, August 10, 2013

Serendipity


"The faculty of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for." Serendipity, one of my favorite words, is the essence of travel for me. I’m always surprised at it's manifestations.

Granola?

In November, 2012, I visited my friends in Crystal River, Florida, spending a night with Steve and Bonnie. Bonnie, one of my most health conscious friends, served me a delicious homemade granola for breakfast. I liked it so much that I asked her for the recipe. She told me that she'd gotten it from her daughter Angela, mother of three little girls who still finds time to make granola and other treats like whole wheat cinnamon raisin bread from scratch. They graciously agreed to share it.

Bonnie, Angela, and baby Gina

The Recipe

Bonnie and Angie's Granola 

3 cups old fashioned rolled oats 
1/2 cup silvered almonds 
1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut 
1/4 cup hulled green pumpkin seeds 
1/4 cup sunflower seeds or pine nuts 
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped fine 
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
4 tablespoons unsalted butter 
1/3 cup honey 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1/2 cup raisins or chopped dates 
1/2 cup dried cranberries or blueberries or a combination

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.

In a large bowl stir together oats, almonds, coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pecan, cinnamon and salt. In a small saucepan melt butter with honey over low heat, stirring. Add vanilla and pour butter mixture over oat mixture and stir until combined well.

On a large baking sheet spread the granola evenly in a thin layer. Bake stirring every 5 minutes to keep from sticking or burning, until golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes (Do not over cook, granola will crisp when cooled) Cool granola and stir in dried fruits. Granola may be kept in air tight container for a week. 



An added bonus to this recipe is that it's gluten free since it has no flour. I mix about one third cup granola with 2 tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt for a delicious, serendipitous breakfast treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment